The new 7 day cabbage soup diet allows you limitless possibilities in food while you steadily drop those pounds throughout the first week—and then in the second week, third week, and as long as you want to keep losing weight.
The new 7 day cabbage soup diet lets you add variety to your cabbage soup. In fact, you will get the most health benefits (beyond just losing weight) if you make a soup base the day before you start the diet and then heat it up with different kinds of cabbage throughout the week.
When you go to the market to prepare for the 7 day cabbage soup diet, you will need:
- One large head of cabbage for each dieter on the plan
- Three quarts (about 3 L) of packaged or canned broth, MSG-free for each dieter on the plan
- Any other vegetables you enjoy in soup, such as carrots, celery, onions, garlic, sweet peppers, hot peppers, water chestnuts, yellow squash, turnips, or cilantro, but not Irish potatoes or sweet potatoes.
Up to a teaspoon of sweet corn kernels per cup of soup is OK for additional texture and flavor, as well as a good source of the eye-healthy nutrients lutein and zeaxathin. The easiest way to add sweet corn to your soup is to buy frozen kernels, and take just enough out of the bag for each serving of soup as you make it.
Now for your directions for cooking ahead for your 7 day cabbage soup diet:
- Start with MSG-free broth. This can be chicken, beef, or, preferably, vegetable broth. You can make it yourself or you can buy it at the store. Just be sure any broth you buy does not contain MSG, and don’t add Accent or any other kind of MSG to the broth you make at home.
- Next, pour 12 cups (3 liters) of broth into a stockpot and heat to a simmer. You are going to let your broth reduce down to about half its original volume to get a really tasty, concentrated soup base full of flavor.
- While you are simmering your soup base, you can add chopped onions, chopped carrots, celery, garlic, cilantro, or any aromatic vegetable you like, allowing it to contribute its flavors to the soup base. Just keep the saucepan covered while you are reducing the broth so all the aromas are kept inside.
- When your broth has cooked down to half the starting volume, you have the base for your soup for the rest of the week. You can added chopped cabbage, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, water chestnuts, green onions, or cilantro, or any other vegetables you like and cook them until just tender now, or you can set the soup base aside for use later. Just be sure that any soup you make contains a generous amount of chopped cabbage.
- Add cabbage to your soup and boil or microwave for 2 to 5 minutes just before you eat the soup.
Here’s the way to make your 7 day cabbage soup diet a bit more interesting:
Cabbage soup day in and day out can get old. Spice up your 7 day cabbage soup diet by using some tips and tricks contributed by cabbage soup diet veterans.
Chop up various kinds of cabbage, such as green cabbage, purple cabbage, bok choi, Savoy cabbage, or even sauerkraut or kimchi, and place them in covered containers in the frig. Keep the cabbage separate from the soup until just before you are ready to cook. Then bring the soup base to boiling and pop in the chopped cabbage.
Let the cabbage wilt in the hot soup base until it’s tender. Sprinkle a little salt from the salt shaker if you think the soup needs it. Then eat and enjoy! This way you get even more filling-up from the soup, and you can vary it from day to day and from meal to meal.
You don’t have eat exactly the same kind of diet cabbage soup each and every meal, as long as you eat at least a full cup (240 ml) of soup before you eat anything else. It helps if you eat your soup slowly, savoring every drop, and then wait at least a couple minutes before eating the rest of your meal.
And the less time you let your cabbage sit in your boiling soup base, the more likely you are to end up with a negative-calorie (link) cabbage soup.