Do you wondering if your diet is healthy. Many people thinking that just getting their five a day of fruit and vegetables is all they need to do. However, a healthy diet is much more than this. You need to make sure you eat a balanced diet to remain healthy and get all your nutrients. Here are five simple tips to make sure your diet remains healthy and beneficial for your body.
- Eat the Healthy Fats: You still need fat in your diet to make it healthy. This should be the healthier varieties, such as the monounsaturated and polyunsaturated options. Avoid trans and saturated fats as much as possible. Your diet only needs to have 10% of the healthy fats to keep it balanced, but you could find that your cholesterol lowers simply by choosing the right options. If you have diabetes, mono and polyunsaturated fats have been used to help lower blood sugar and control insulin levels to help control the condition.
- Get Plenty of Fibre: Fibre is one of the best things for your digestive system so make sure you eat plenty of it. It breaks down in the body slowly and aids with the digestion to avoid problems with your stools. You can find it in many different types of foods, including fruits, vegetables and wholegrain varieties of foods. By breaking down slowly, fiber is also great for losing weight. You will feel fuller for a longer period of time so will not feel the need to eat as much.
- Take Care of Your Brain with Omega-3: Omega-3 oils are great for boosting the brain and caring for it. After all, what is the use of a healthy body if the brain doesn’t function properly? Omega-3 is usually found in oily fish, such as salmon, tuna and mackerel; although some bread bakers are adding it to their loaves. A good amount of omega-3 boosts brain power, so you will find your memory and attention span are improved. You should also focus on brain training exercises to make the most out of a healthy brain.
- Cut Out the Refined Products: Cakes, muffins, sweets and other refined products simply are not healthy. It’s not just the sugars in them that cause a problem; it’s the chemicals and ways that they have been refined. All of the nutritional value is taken from the items and you’re left with ingredients that cause the blood sugar to spike. Not only will refined products cause weight gain, but they lead to digestive, immune and blood problems. Eat the way the cavemen ate and cut out those refined products.
- You Still Need Carbohydrates: You may hear of many fad diets claiming that you don’t need carbohydrates that they’re causing you to gain weight. While this is partially true, it’s not actually the carbohydrates on their own; it’s the source of them. Simple carbohydrates break down in the system quickly and will lead to the blood sugar increasing. These are found in white bread, white pasta and white rice, along with refined products. Complex carbohydrates, which are from potatoes, brown pasta and rice and brown bread, break down much slower. You will feel fuller and not get the sudden sugar rush that you would experience with the other types. You can also get healthy carbohydrates from fruit and vegetables.
Having a healthy diet is more than just focusing on fruit and vegetables. You need to think about the type of food you are eating and what it does to your body. Focus on getting the nutrients and if something doesn’t give you that cut it out!