Celiac disease is a disease of the small intestine. It is caused by having excessive gluten-protein in the regular diet. Gluten enters the small intestine and damages its inner lining, which is responsible for absorption of nutrients from the food, by sticking to it. This gluten-protein is found in cereals from which eatables like bread, pizza base, cookies, biscuits are prepared – like wheat, barley, rice, etc. and also rye and vitamins. Daily use products like medicines and lip balms also contain gluten. Consumption of these foods and materials in excess is harmful as it leads to the incurable celiac disease. We shall now see some celiac disease symptoms.
Celiac disease is also known as celiac sprue. The symptoms vary for different persons. But they mainly occur affecting the digestive system. The basic cause behind the occurrence of the celiac disease is gluten. The symptoms in children differ from those seen in adults. Also symptoms of the same disease are differently seen in men and women.
Symptoms among the small ones
- Bloating of the stomach
- Stomach ache
- Differences in stool color and odor
- Weight loss
Symptoms in adults
- Body and bone pains
- Joint pains
- Anemia and arthritis
- Bone diseases like osteopenia and osteoporosis
- Depressive state of mind
- No menstruation and infertility
- Seizures of the brain
- Irritation in skin
Symptoms in women
Characteristic feminine symptoms in women that may be signs of a celiac disease residing in their bodies:
- Unexplained infertility
- Complications in child regulation in a pregnant mother’s womb
- Pregnancy loss
- Unusual pains during having sexual intercourse
- Late menarche on a regular basis
- Early menopause in mid-aged women
- A condition of amenorrhea (absence of menstruation)
While the above mentioned problems can occur due to many reasons, the main and intact cause of these celiac disease symptoms being shown in female bodies remains the celiac disease.
Symptoms in men
While the main symptoms in men pointing to the celiac disease are common as in the adult symptoms section above, but the characteristic male symptoms are as follows:
- Unreasonable infertility
- Low sperm count
- Penile pains during intercourse
The disease is rare in men as compared to in women.
Celiac disease symptoms also depend upon the age factor and the degree of damage that the disease has already done to the small intestine. When left undetected, this disease can cause severities like low formation of blood in the body, osteoporosis, liver and kidney disorders and intestinal cancers.
While there isn’t really a remedy that can cure or treat the celiac disease, there are some measures that can prevent it from causing further damages to your bodies. These include following the steps below:
- Acceptance of a life-long gluten-free diet
- Exemption from the consumption of fabricated vitamin medicines
- No foods like bread, pasta, ice-cream, alcoholic-beverages like beer, mustard and ketchups, meats, instant tea and coffee, sausages, etc.
- Reduction of lactose products like milk, curds, butter and so on.
- Do not rely on any medicines for the cure of celiac disease as they may contain such elements which are primary causes of the disease.
- Consumption of more amounts of raw fruits and veggies, or their juices (unprocessed with flavors)
It has seen in many celiac patients, including pregnant mothers, that who follow these solutions (most importantly the gluten-free diet) win over the disease. Expecting mothers on a gluten-free diet are seen to have healthy babies. This is one of the best and possibly the only solution to get rid of the disease – eliminating gluten from your life forever. Well, those who do not wish to, or cannot afford to, may have to learn to live with the celiac disease.